Crab Salad, Spring Rolls, Caramelized Ginger Aioli
12 pieces U/10 dry-pac scallops
1 tbsp. cracked black pepper
6 sweet potatoes, roasted, peeled and cooled
2 tbsp. pickled ginger
2 tbsp. cardamon
3 cups cooked black beans, refrigerate until needed
Soy glaze, recipe to follow
I 1/2 cups orange juice concentrate, thawed
2 tbsp. saffron threads, available at any specialty store
1/2- 3/4 cup canola oil
Oil and butter for sautéing
For the sweet potatoes:
- Puree sweet potatoes in robotcoup (food processor) until
smooth and creamy.
- Add pickled ginger, cardamon, and black pepper. Pulse to
break up pickled ginger and incorporate spices.
- Remove and set aside until needed.
For the orange saffron emulsion:
- Warm orange juice concentrate with the saffron until it
- Cool to room temperature, whisk in the canola oil slowly to
emulsify, continue whisking until all the oil is incorporated.
- Season with salt and cracked black pepper.
- Pour into suitable squeeze bottle and refrigerate until
For the soy glaze:
- In a medium pot, comblne the following ingredients: 4 cups
soy sauce 8 cups sugar 1 stack crushed lemongrass (available
at any Asian market) 1 finger chopped ginger Juice of two
oranges 1 leek, deaned, rinsed and chopped 1 heaping tbsp. red
- Mix well, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer for 1 1/2 -2 hours over low heat. Reduce by one
fourth and strain through a China cup or fine mesh strainer.
- Hold in a suitable bain-marie and refrigerate until needed.
For the black beans:
- Simmer cooked black beans in enough soy glaze to taste.
- Whisk in 2-3 tbsps. soft butter.
- Simmer over low heat until needed.
For the scallops:
- Season scallops with salt and black pepper on both sides.
- Sear on one side only until golden brown, flip over and sear
for 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and set aside until needed.
- Place a mound of the sweet potato puree (room temperature)
in center of plate.
- Ladle black beans around puree.
- Place seared scallops on black beans and drizzle with
- Garnish with crispy lotus root chips or fried soba noodles.